A meat free version of the classic comfort food with a nutritious spin.
Traditionally made with ground lamb or beef, the Pumpkin & Turmeric Sprouted Seed Bread is a great substitute for the minced texture and savoury flavours, making it much lighter on the stomach.
This recipe also replaced mashed potato for pureed cauliflower, again making this dish ultra light.
Great as a sharing plate for gatherings or as an individual course for lunch and dinner. Either way it will be a popular tummy tamer.
What you will need
1 large baking tray or 4 small casserole dishes
4 slices Pumpkin & Turmeric Sprouted Seed Bread
2 sticks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1/2 cup vegetable stock or water
1/2 bottle tomato passata
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 sprig fresh or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary and thyme
pinch of salt and blackpeper
1 cauliflower, leaves removed
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon butter (optional)
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
pinch of salt and black pepper
handful of fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 180c.
2. Sautee diced onion, celery and carrots in vegetable broth or water until softened. Stir in garlic and simmer until fragrant.
3. Add tomato paste and passata. Mix well.
4. Stir in thyme and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
5. Break sprouted bread into crumbs and stir into the sauce. Continue simmering for 3 minutes
6. Line baking tray or casserole dishes with olive oil.
7. Fill tray or each dish with the filling until half full. Set aside.
8. Blanch cauliflower in hot water for 5 minutes. Drain well.
9. Blend cauliflower, almond milk, nutritional yeast, butter (optional), salt and pepper until smooth.
10. Spoon blended cauliflower into dishes and bake for 10 mins.
11. Top with chopped parsley and fresh ground pepper.